Re: Bazaar migration status?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Bazaar migration status?
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:13:52 +0900

> Ken Raeburn writes:
>  > The advice I've seen isn't "don't do it too often", it's "don't do
>  > it".
>
> True, you will see "don't ever rebase" a lot from git-phobes.  It
> should be considered to be a litmus test for git-phobia, not as
> reflecting VCS reality.

I agree.  Rebasing is a tool; it's often both useful and the "right
thing to do".  Obviously it's good to understand the implications before
doing so, of course.  If someone doesn't understand them, then sure,
they can avoid rebasing until they feel more confident.

That seems to be the reason why git feels so much better than other
dvcses to me -- it tries to be a flexible toolbox, and while it makes
some methods of operations very convenient, it also tries to avoid
unnecessary limitations, and has safety mechanisms that are useful even
when you're doing really wacky stuff.  Other vcses on the other hand,
often seem to start with a simple workflow adequate for common
situations, and adopt that workflow as dogma (and of course, sometimes
embed it into the implementation to the point where it becomes
self-fulfilling).

-Miles

--
Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.