Re: Bazaar migration status?

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Bazaar migration status?
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 01:34:15 -0400

On Jul 22, 2009, at 23:49, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
True, you will see "don't ever rebase" a lot from git-phobes.  It
should be considered to be a litmus test for git-phobia, not as
reflecting VCS reality.

I may have overstated it a little, but the general recommendation is that it's a bad idea and should be avoided if possible. For example, "git help rebase" tells me so:

Rebasing (or any other form of rewriting) a branch that others have based work on is a bad idea: anyone downstream of it is forced to manually fix
       their history. This section explains how to do the fix from the
downstream's point of view. The real fix, however, would be to avoid
       rebasing the upstream in the first place.

This sort of ripple effect requiring manual intervention for everyone downstream seems... rude.

In fact, rebasing is such an important operation that *all* of the
dVCSes have been forced by user demand to provide it,

I'd believe it, and certainly its use in private branches makes sense to me. My experience with dVCSes is minimal so far, but I can imagine a case where some sort of upstream repository change or rebuild is absolutely necessary and it's impossible to keep the content the same. In our case, though, it seems to be that we *do* want the content to be the same, and all the history info... but we're going to have a complete new version history anyways, because it's how the tools work today.

Ken