Info-directory-list initialization

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Info-directory-list initialization
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:19:04 +0200

I'm wondering whether Info-directory-list initialization actually works
as said in the Info-directory-list docstring:

    ... or the
    concatenation of the two if INFOPATH ends with a colon.

    When `Info-directory-list' is initialized from the value of
    `Info-default-directory-list', and Emacs is not installed in one
    of the standard directories, the first element of the resulting
    list is the directory where Emacs installs the Info files that
    come with it.  This is so that Emacs's own manual, which suits the
    version of Emacs you are using, will always be found first.

I installed emacs 23.1.50 from CVS with --prefix=/gnu.  When I start
emacs with

INFOPATH=: /gnu/bin/emacs -q --no-site-file

I see:

Info-directory-list is a variable defined in `info.el'.
Its value is
("" "/gnu/share/info/" "/usr/share/info/")

But when I call C-h i, emacs offers Info files from /usr/share/info for
reading instead of /gnu/share/info, which comes earlier.  I can read the
files from /gnu/share/info, when I call

INFOPATH=/gnu/share/info /gnu/bin/emacs -q --no-site-file

--
Karl Eichwalder
R&D / Documentation