Re: djvu image file format in emacs?

From: joakim
Subject: Re: djvu image file format in emacs?
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:51:33 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:
>> AFAIK, SXEmacs uses libWand only for all image stuff and dropped the
>> image format specific code.  Maybe that's a good approach, but of course
>> then you need to have ImageMagick then to get any image support...
>
> In theory, though all the multi-purpose image libraries I've looked at
> have been pretty crappy, so my tendency is to be skeptical (dunno about
> libmagicwand in particular, tho imagemagick generally seems to tend in
> the "giant bloated mess" direction).
>
> If there's something out there which really is smallish, very portable,
> and very flexible, it might be a good thing to look into.

I have never seen an image library like this.

> I'm not sure how much of Emacs image code could be gotten rid of though
> -- much of the image code in emacs is actually for supporting
> emacs-specific features, not the basic loading/saving.

I wont attempt to replace existing Emacs image code. I think it is good
to have basic image support withouth ImageMagick.

I will attempt to use ImageMagick to load djvu files in Emacs.  Since
ImageMagick can lots of other image formats, they will also be loadable
with Imagemagick. If ImageMagick is not linked, the existing image code
will execute as normal.

--
Joakim Verona