Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:40:41 +0200

>> However, letting `set-window-configuration' change the identity of
>> windows would obviously break my window groups code (which is based on
>> the invariant identity of internal windows) and my entire window
>> debugging code.
>
> I'd consider such code as "internal", so yes it would probably need to
> be updated.

Updated in what sense?  To deal with the fact that window excursions can
change the identity of a window or an entire window group?  I currently
display in my mode line the identity and group of each window to control
visually how their status changes.  How shall I continue to do that when
each window excursion can arbitrarily change these identities?

> This said, I don't think set-window-configuration should be
> changed to always create new window identities.  E.g. in the case of
> save-window-excursion, for example, new identities would only be created
> for windows that had been deleted in the mean time.

When `adjust-window-trailing-edge' inadvertently deletes a window, it
restores the previous window configuration and reports an error.  Thus
this function currently behaves as a noop wrt the window configuration.
Do you really mean it should give the resurrected window a new identity?

> Yes, and the "c" is for "creative".

So let's try to be more "creative" and less "chaotic".

martin