Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:49:42 +0200

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 9:17 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:

>> That is, it seems to me - and yes this is
>> necessarily just an opinion about user
>> interfaces - that the edit area windows
>> should behave exactly like a traditional
>> Emacs frame.  For example, C-x o navigates
>> (normally) just among the edit area windows.
>> Normal splitting or deleting of a window changes
>> only edit area windows.  Programs that look for,
>> say, a largest window to use to pop up some
>> buffer should look only to the edit area (unless
>> explicitly written to do otherwise).  It should
>> take a special gesture (keystroke or mouse, different
>> from C-x o) to select a window in a control panel
>> and, once its selected the set of windows in that
>> control panel are then the focus (the C-x o ring,
>> etc.).
>
> The way I see window groups, they behave like you describe.

I think there is one more part of Thomas suggestion: that there should
be default framelets/window groups at each frame border (the 16
configs).

It might be a good idea that they are there by default. ECB for
example works according to a similar visual model.

One way to make it simple to implement that idea could be to have
hidden windows corresponding to those framelets (ie the framelets
should live inside them). That way iit could be easy to hide/show them
and one could make a set of function for handling them.

But then we need to have hidden windows though, but that does not seem
fantastically difficult. At least not to me that never tried to look
at that code ...