Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:20:36 -0700

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 21:08 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > There are 2 proposals for window groups, mine and Martins(which is
> > probably more advanced than mine).  I initialy just wanted to be able
> > to "pin" windows, so they werent affected by c-x 1 and stuff like
> > that.  I really just wanted a small window to hold the information the
> > mode-line normaly is misused to hold.  So I wanted something lighter
> > than a frame. Oh wait, thats a framelet :)
>
> I still believe also that tab-bars (and tool-bar as well) could/should
> be implement(ed|able) in Elisp as "normal windows".

Please no!

They certainly shouldn't be C-x o material.  They shouldn't
be kill-buffer or switch-buffer material.  They ain't
normal windows.

Menu bars are kinda sorta a view and controller over
keymaps.... shouldn't frame and window tab bars be the
same?

> Such windows
> obviously need a special treatment

Which is sign of a mistake in design.

> and are bound/related to some other
> window (or window-tree).  You could think of them as being in
> a top-framelet, but I also would like to be able to have tab-bars and
> tool-bars attached to individual windows rather than to frames, so it
> would appear to be necessary to handle such special windows appearing
> not just on the border of a frame.
>
> For this reason, I think that Thomas's proposal is too limited.
>

>         Stefan

Could you say more about that.  I'd like to hash
this out with you because afaict i have a butt simple
aggregate of proposals that cover the use cases
very nicely without screwing with existing abstractions.
Maybe(?) take this off list between us for a few
exchanges and then report back?

-t