Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:12:45 +0900

> YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:
>> I don't agree in this respect.  Reverting the changes in the branch
>> will result in breaking compatibility TWICE:
>>
>> * On 23.1, between the NS port and the other platforms.
>> * On the NS port, between 23.1 and 23.2.
>>
>> We should provide some care compensating for these breakages.
>>
>> Note that I'm trying to find a constructive solution as we agree in
>> many other respects.
>>

> One solution is for 23.2 to provide an ns-compat.el library containing
> wrapper functions mapping the incompatible features
> to their platform-independent replacements and emitting warnings to
> inform the user that they should change to use the platform-independent
> equivalents. Then in 23.3 or 24.1 we could remove this library from
> Emacs and require users to get it from elsewhere if they still want to
> use the incompatible features.

Perhaps this can be applied to some of the features I removed.  Let's
take a more closer look.  There might be a possibility of different
solutions for different changes.

What I removed was:

  1. Code for stippling.  This is wrongly implemented as tiling, which
     has been controversial whether or not to be included in the other
     platforms, IIUC.
  2. Code for interpreting incompatible color formats: RGBrrggbb,
     ARGBaarrggbb, HSVhhssvv, AHSVaahhssvv, and CMYKccmmyykk.  Besides
     the format itself, support for the alpha-component in color is
     not found in the other platforms but not inherently NS-specific.
  3. Lisp primitive ns-set-alpha (nsfns.m), which sets the alpha
     component of the given color to the specified value.  As in the
     argument for the alpha-component above, this is not inherently
     NS-specific.
  4. Lisp function ns-set-background-alpha (ns-win.el), which sets
     alpha-component of frame background color.  It is different from
     the frame parameter `alpha' as Adrian explained.  Again, this is
     not inherently NS-specific.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden