Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:28:40 +0200

> I understand you to say that `window-list'
> should (by default) return all of the windows,
> grouped or not.   That won't DTRT in the use
> cases of greatest interest - where "groups"
> are supposed to be control panels around an
> edit area.   Just the windows in the edit area
> should be returned by default.

The basic semantics of `window-list', namely that of returning all life
windows must be unchanged.  I suppose nobody wants to restrict the value
returned by `buffer-list' to the buffers controlled by a specific
application only.

> Emacs already has a way to segregate groups of
> windows in that way: frames.   That's what
> gives rise to the idea that control panels are
> mostly just a new way to render certain frames.

Frames still don't give you any means to control where `display-buffer'
is going to display a buffer.

martin