Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:20:35 +0200

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 2:10 PM, martin rudalics<address@hidden> wrote:
>> As an example consider ECBs windows. There is currently a command in
>> ECB to hide/show them today. That could be implemented by
>> hiding/showing a window group.
>
> ECB does this by saving a window configuration, deleting the respective
> windows, and resurrecting the saved configuration when the user wants
> the windows to show up again.  Resurrection occurs procedurally, that is
> by recursively splitting the root window of a frame.

Yes, maybe that is the best way, I am not sure.

> There's no problem doing that the way sketched above.  I'm skeptical
> about hiding windows by giving them zero height or width, though.

I did not mean giving the zero height ot width. That would be
confusing. I meant visibility as a new property.

> My code can split any root window (or any group root window) and clone
> any saved window group into any of the two emanating halves.  And it
> does not need to split windows to accomplish that.

That sounds very good. To throw away that part of my code in winsav.el
I would need three more things:

- Rotate
- Transpose

and

> The
> additional frame resizing code when a window group that spans an entire
> side of that frame is removed would have to be written but that seems
> fairly straightforward.

- Resizing.

Actually the reszing code when putting back a window tree in winsav
was one of the most frustrating pieces of code I have written because
it had to fight what the C code was doing. I think the resizing code
is one of those pieces that should be written in C. It should be much
more simple there (the logic I mean ...).