Is that OK the way expand-abbrev moves point ?

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: Is that OK the way expand-abbrev moves point ?
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 13:15:38 +0200

Dear EMACS experts
I am currently writing some _vbscript_ code with http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/visual-basic-mode.el
I noticed that function visual-basic-newline-and-indent (mapped to <RET>) has a strange behaviour sometimes and this is due to the way expand-abbrev works. Here is the code:
(defun visual-basic-newline-and-indent (&optional count)
  "Insert a newline, updating indentation."
  (interactive)
  (expand-abbrev)
  (save-excursion
  (visual-basic-indent-line))
  (call-interactively 'newline-and-indent))

If for instance I type <RET> after (--!-- showing point when I type <RET>):
 MyVar = MyFun(1,True)--!--
Then just after (expand-abbrev), point will be moved as follows:
 MyVar = MyFun(1,True--!--)
because `True' is one abbreviation, so as a result I get this:
MyVar = MyFun(1,True
)
Which is unwanted.
I can solve this very easilly locally to visual-basic-mode.el, by pushing the (expand-abbrev) into the (save-excursion ...) but I was wondering whether this is an issue or not that expand-abbrev behave this way.
My emacs version  23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195)

Best regards,
    Vincent.

Discutez sur Messenger où que vous soyez ! Mettez Messenger sur votre mobile !