Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:35:38 +0200

> I see. Yes, it would be nice to avoid that. But is that really that
> difficult? I mean you calculate the sizes of all direct children and
> then you create them. What is the problem with that? (Sorry, I just
> don't understand.)

It's not transparent, that is, it depends on the order how things are
done.  You can set window attributes like `window-size-fixed' only after
splitting.  You have to bind `window-min-height' and `window-min-width'
around the splitting code.  `set-window-configuration' is much simpler
in this regard.

> In winsav.el the problem is that you can't be sure what size the
> windows get so you have to iterate and do some strange things to get
> back the original (relative) sizes). But is not that more easy to do
> if you can create the sizes and adjust them before creating the child
> windows?

I suppose we agree that it's much simpler when we can set the window
sizes directly (and apply any frame resizing afterwards).

martin