RE: Infrastructural complexity.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:40:05 -0700

>  > FWIW, the code is here (commands `tile-frames-*'):
>  >
>  > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/frame-cmds.el
>
> Interesting.  But doesn't `tile-frames' tile in one direction only?

Yes, horizontally _or_ vertically; not both at once.

> BTW, do you enlarge frames when changing fonts?

If you're referring to `enlarge-font', yes.

But I use my library `zoom-frm.el', with commands `zoom-in' and `zoom-out'. They
let you zoom either by enlarging/shrinking the frame font (a la `enlarge-font')
or the buffer text (a la `text-scale-decrease' - Emacs 23 only). `C-u' acts as a
toggle between the two modes.

In the first case (`enlarge-font'), yes, the frame size changes with the font
size.

And for the text-scaling mode, I use the patch I sent to the list (with zero
response), which automatically adjusts the window or frame size to accommodate
the font-size change. But that resizing is controlled by a user option.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/face-remap%2b.el - user option to control whether
window/frame resizes to reflect font size change

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SetFonts#ChangingFontSize - description of my
font resizing stuff (zoom-frm.el, frame-cmds.el, face-remap+.el).

> What are your experiences with window manager interventions
> when using such layed-out frames?

Sorry, dunno what you mean. I use MS Windows - dunno about other window mgrs.
What kind of interventions did you have in mind?