Re: Improve the docstring of case-fold-search

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Improve the docstring of case-fold-search
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 05:01:30 +0800

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> The case-fold-search variable is pretty low-level and applies to
>>> functions like re-search-forward.  Maybe it shouldn't be customizable to
>>> avoid such confusion.
>> As a first step toward this,
>
> I don't see why you'd need steps for this.

As I understand it, the goal is to turn case-fold-search into a
non-customizable variable.  To me it makes only sense if the user
is still able to configure the way he wants the interactive search
to behave.  Hence the "step" of finding the right way to turn
`isearch-case-fold-search' into an option.

>> the attached patch creates an option for
>> `isearch-case-fold-search'.  The possible values for this option are:
>
>>                 t : isearch ignores case
>>               nil : isearch does not ignore case
>>              'yes : isearch ignores mixed case
>> 'case-fold-search : isearch uses the local case-fold-search
>
>> Is it okay to apply this?
>
> I don't understand what use cases we're trying to address here.

The case where `case-fold-search' is not configurable anymore and the
user want to customize the default behavior of the interactive search.

Does that make more sense?

--
 Bastien