Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:10:41 +0900

> But if I was doing that in-emacs alphablending (not saying I will
> successfully, just if...), I personally would not use the peculiar
> NS chosen syntax for colors with alpha values. I'd probably prefer
> to have separate float face properties, foreground-alpha and
> background-alpha, to allow me to continue to use named X11 colors
> i.e. background: "midnightblue" background-alpha: 0.5

> (yes, I suppose it would be possible to support both external and
> in-color-name alphas, messily.  But if I was doing that, I'm still
> not keen on the NS chosen syntax. Note how css and x11 both nowadays
> user separated values e.g. rgb(r, g, b) or rgb:r/g/b )

IIUC, neither Carbon nor Cocoa defines the standard textual
representation formats of colors.  So I think Emacs on such platforms
should adopt some other standards (e.g., X11 or maybe CSS) like in the
W32 or Carbon port rather than inventing new own formats as in the NS
port.  Own formats does not enhance interchangeability in any ways.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden