Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:38:42 +0200

> - I specifically didn't want to use an algorithm like the one that was
>   used in the past (when I wrote the code, which started a long time
>   ago, before adjust-window-trailing-edge') nor like the one that's
>   currently used.  I wanted an algorithm that's more declarative: you
>   specify the goal, and the algorithm looks for it without you having to
>   tell it how to do it.

As it stands, your algorithm depends on `adjust-window-trailing-edge'
DTRT though.

> - Even if you have the code to compute the desired shape of the tree, it's
>   far from trivial to figure out how to go from the current tree shape to
>   the goal tree shape without bumping into things like window-min-height
>   and window-min-width on intermediate states.

And fixed-size windows.  It's a pain.  Some combinations of desired
window configuration / frame sizes do not even have a solution at all
(just like putting footnotes on pages): You can't put a cretain window
into a frame because it won't fit due to some restrictions; so you
decide to delete it.  But if you delete it, the remaining windows won't
fit, so you put it back.

>   Actually most of the code in balance-windows-area was written
>   specifically for that purpose while trying to fix the original
>   balance-windows (which tended to delete windows in some cases for no
>   apparent reason).  At some point along the way I figured that I could
>   just as well "compute the goal along the way".

martin