Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:05:27 +0200

> I'm talking about something else: after having a found a solution
> (i.e. you know exactly the size you want for of each window and it is
> correct for the size of the frame), find a set of calls to
> enlarge/shrink-window (or equivalent) that will bring you from the
> current window configuration to the desired window configuration.

Indeed.  Specifying a good interface for that seems tedious.  Something
like a function which accepts a list of all windows and their new sizes,
checks whether the sizes add up correctly, and applies them.

> But yes, "finding a solution" is itself a difficult problem.

NP-complete, I suppose.  I always wondered whether there are
configurations where your code could produce a suboptimal solution by
stopping to early.

martin