Re: Learning emacs sources

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Learning emacs sources
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 00:19:29 +0200

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Sundar Vasan<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Chong Yidong<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Reading the source in one go is probably not feasible.  If you are
>> interested in how one particular part of Emacs works, a good strategy is
>> to read the relevant part of the Lisp manual, try to formulate a set of
>> specific questions, then ask this mailing list.
>>

> Are there any simple bugs that I could work on? That would give me a
> lot more focus than just looking randomly.
>
> Adding/updating docs is something else that I was thinking about as a
> good way to start (esp since I can look at it from a newbie
> perspective as I'm fairly new to emacs). That would also help me learn
> more about emacs. But I'm not sure where to begin. Any suggestions?

Do you know about the bug database:

    http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/

Even if you can't solve the bugs right now, looking at them and trying
to understand might perhaps be something that fits your mind.

Another thing to look at (that is quite a bit complicated though) is
CEDET that is on its way into Emacs. There are plenty of things to do.