Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:35:10 +0200

Harald Hanche-Olsen <address@hidden> writes:

> + Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
>
>> We need to delete the "provider implementation" from Emacs 23.1.
>
> Agreed, I think ... One of those menu items is Services -> Emacs.app
> -> Send Email to Selected Address, which works. On the other hand,
> what does NOT work, but really SHOULD (this falls into the "glaring
> deficiency" category), is to let emacs handle a mailto: URL.
>
> On the mac, one can declare that application A should handle URL
> scheme U. By default, mailto: URLs are handled by Mail.app, so that
> clicking on a mailto: link on a web page causes Mail.app to open a
> new draft message addressed to the given address. If I change this to
> let emacs handle it, clicking on a mailto: link does activate emacs,
> but nothing more happens.
>
> This is a "glaring deficiency" because, after all, clicking on mailto:
> links on web pages is quite common, and if emacs cannot handle this,
> we discourage users from using emacs for their mail.
>
> Should I file a bug report requesting this feature?

What I use is a helper script that looks like

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/emacsclient -a "" --eval "(browse-url \"$1\")"
It should really be, for quoting reasons,

/usr/local/bin/emacsclient -a "" --eval "(browse-url (pop argv))" "$1"

but emacsclient's option handling is not similar enough to that of emacs
yet to have this work.

--
David Kastrup