Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:01:08 -0400

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> writes:

> Maintainers, shouldn't you explain why you released Emacs 23.1 without
> removing the Cocoa-only background transparent feature?
>
> I've explained reasons why it should be removed in so many aspects.
> But I've never heard of logical reasons from you.

As I've explained before, it was too late to make drastic internals
changes.  I agreed to the removal of the user commands for setting the
alpha channel---a "removal", I might add, that actually consisted of not
reverting your unannounced, unagreed-upon changes to a release branch in
heavy freeze---but your other changes to the ns*.m internals were too
risky for the marginal "benefit" provided (that "benefit" being to make
it slightly harder for users to set the alpha in an incompatible way).
Now, I'm confident that someone of your intelligence will be able to
find some persnickety arguments against this decision.  But I've little
inclination to engage in more such debate, so you'll unfortunately have
to live with it.