Re: Darkening font-lock colors

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Darkening font-lock colors
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 02:18:26 +0200

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 1:40 AM, David De La Harpe
Golden<address@hidden> wrote:
> Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>
>>  > See attached.  One a LightGray background, font-lock-string-face is
>>  > almost illegible by default IMO.
>>
>> I see no reason to change font-lock-variable-name-face, seems readable
>> enough, and its too similar to font-lock-string-face after the change.
>>

> Best also bear in mind people's (especially males) color perception ability
> can vary. I fed the provided sample through the color-blindness display
> filters in GIMP (couldn't work out how to save other than screen capture,
> blargh, display filters don't work like image filters), FWIW (which mightn't
> be much, really need real color-blind people...)

Great. I didn'
t know GIMP had such information.

However it seems impossible to take care of this in the default color
scheme. I suggest adding additional color schemes for the font-lock
faces for this.

Other useful things is guidelines for accessibility, for example this one here:

  http://juicystudio.com/services/csstest.php

I just mailed the author of this page and asked if he had some advice
for how to get both contrast to the background and distinguishable
colors (no response yet).

BTW, in mumamo.el I use background colors to distinguish chunks with
different major modes. I just noticed that someone with vision
impairement had problems with that. (This is problematic since the
information provided by the background color is important so I then
added a second solution for this, using the margins instead.)