RE: supporting mouse-entered, mouse-left

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: RE: supporting mouse-entered, mouse-left
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 01:48:43 +0900

Drew Adams writes:

 > Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if you mean highlight the text whenever the
 > mouse is over it, you can do that using text property `mouse-face'. (That has
 > character granularity however.)

I think you are misunderstanding.  It wasn't entirely clear to me, but
I think he wants *all* instances of a word to flash if the mouse is
over *one* of them (as with `isearch-highlight-all-matches'), and for
the highlighted word to change as the mouse moves.

Anybody who has ever tried to track a particular message through the
sendmail logs will immediately understand the utility of this.  Just
point at the sendmail message identifier, and voilà!, they're all
highlighted.  But (grr) of course sendmail will change those
identifiers more often than Michael Jackson changed costume in a
concert.  But now we're ready for that ... just a flick of the mouse
and we've got the next series of logs.  Spam fighting gives "point and
shoot" a certain attraction to even the most confirmed pacifist....