Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?

From: CHENG Gao
Subject: Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 15:45:41 +0800

*On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 23:21:54 -0400
* Also sprach Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:

>     Now apart from Applescript and services (covered in a separate
>     message), applications may respond to other kinds of events. One that
>     Emacs does well is "open file"; the script above actually triggers
>     such an event.
>
> Ditto.
>
> However, running Applescript programs FROM Emacs is a system-specific
> feature for MacOS.  That is what ought to be deleted.

As I know, people have talked about replacing Applescript with
Javascript for fairly lone time. And there is a working implementation
called JSTalk
(http://gusmueller.com/blog/archives/2009/03/introducing_jstalk__an_alternative_to_applescript.html).

People also talked about replacing Applescript with Ruby
(http://macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2007/02/27/replacing-applescript-with-ruby.html).

I must confess I never tried them.

I dont know the intention to delete this feature is due to MacOS or
Applescript or even both. If it's only because of Applescript, deletion
of it will hurt those efforts (as mentioned above).

Personally I wish this feature stays. I really like org-remember, but I
dont know if it's possible or how to org-remember information outside of
Emacs. Say for example I browse some webpage, and find I need to
remember something, I wish I could select a region and org-remember it
into my notes file. I trust I have to use this Applescript (or some
non-proprietary implementation like Javascript, Ruby etc.).

I wish this feature could stay.