Re: Darkening font-lock colors

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Darkening font-lock colors
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 22:22:29 +0200

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:01 AM, Lennart
Borgman<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 2:55 AM, Chong Yidong<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> However it seems impossible to take care of this in the default color
>>> scheme. I suggest adding additional color schemes for the font-lock
>>> faces for this.
>>
>> The main goal for the default color scheme is legibility.
>
> I looked a bit at the usability guidelines and wrote the attached
> elisp file for testing new colors. There is an interactive function
> that displays the new fonts and contrast ratios.
>
> Testing your suggested colors I found that the contrast ratio is very
> good. But it does not seem necessary to make the contrast ratio that
> large as you have done. The usability guidelines suggests that a ratio
> of 4.5 is enough. So there is room for colors that are more
> distinguishable.

Chong, I see that you have already installed the new colors. Could we
please try to find something better? I am not sure they look very good
(in my opinion they really don't).

Wouldn't it be good to follow the WCAG accessibility guidelines (see
file I put up here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FontLockColorsAccessibility)? Your
suggestion have the needed contrast - but goes far above that and then
unfortunately makes the differences between the colors too small.

Unfortunately the accessibility guidelines is a bit behind when it
comes to the human distinguishability of the colors. Looking a bit at
color theory I can see this is a difficult matter if you have not got
into it. Mapping the RGB space to human percieved color differences is
something color spaces like CEILuv tries to do. I asked if someone
knew how to write the algorithms , but so far I have not got any
answer so I guess the people that are using Emacs are not that very
much into those questions. I do not really want to become an expert in
this area but the algorithms are badly described in those places where
I have found them so they can't be followed. Is there anyone who knows
a good mailing list or forum where to ask for some help about this?