Re: autoreverting remote files

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: autoreverting remote files
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 05:39:57 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Anyway, this is another discussion. I wanted to know whether I could
>> change autorevert.el; I haven't seen objections until now :-)
>
> It looks like a fine idea, yes.
>
> BTW, I don't understand why file-remote-p is checked in
> auto-revert-handler rather than in (global-)auto-revert-(tail-)mode.
> It's not like the remoteness of a buffer is going to change, is it?
> It would also make it possible for the user to force auto-revert-mode in
> some specific buffer even if the file is remote.

For the time being, I have enabled auto-revert-tail-mode for remote
files. That seems to be the most wanted functionality.

I've also changed the implementation of Tramp's insert-file-contents,
that it copies only the requested characters, when BEG or END is
specified. This shall provide the needed speed.

The rest I haven't touched (yet); I want to wait for feedback first, if
any.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.