RE: Darkening font-lock colors

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Darkening font-lock colors
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 15:40:33 -0700

> I have found it surpisingly hard to find colors that have both good
> luminance color contrast (accessibility, suggested by WCAG) and are
> distinguishable and pleasant (usability). And then I did not even
> consider color blindness (which I think should go on top of this).

1. The solution to that dilemna of contrasting needs is not a compromise. It is
to offer 3 or more general settings. Themes, if you like, but it need not be as
full-blown as themes. Even just 3 choices for a small set of default faces would
be a good first step.

2. FWIW, I am against having both foregrounds and backgrounds defined for faces
such as font-lock faces, that is, for the default values. Distracting & ugly.
Also, they look odd when over trailing whitespace.

Such faces can be OK for things like headings and directories in Dired.
Otherwise, they are not very helpful, IMO.

(Faces that are background only (no foreground) are good for highlighting,
obviously.)

The main thing is that faces intended for text, especially large chunks of text,
should avoid using a background.

Just one opinion.