Re: Add file-locals and dir-locals

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Add file-locals and dir-locals
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 23:43:27 +0300

>>> These are nice and useful, but do they need to be in files.el?
>> I completely agree.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> The usual convention for a file with additional functionality is to add
>> the prefix "-x" to the file name.  This means creating a new file with the
>> name "files-x.el" and putting here all code that should not be in the
>> dumped image.
>
> I'm not really excited about putting just those 3 new commands all on
> their own in a separate file, tho.

Actually, 9 commands and 6 functions.  There are many files in the lisp
directory with less functions (but I don't support such partitioning to
small files).

> Maybe we could find other commands to go along?

Yes, there are more infrequently used file-related commands like
e.g. `read-file-modes' etc.  That's why I proposed a general name
"files-x.el" to open it for wider file-related additions.

> Or maybe it could be moved elsewhere (not sure where, tho.

I can't find a better place.

> Conceptually it's related to customization, so maybe it could fit
> into one of the cus*.el file).

All cus*.el files contain code strictly for the Customization UI.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/