Re: Fiddling with the menus (was: bug#4043: 23.1; thanks for emacs 23!)

From: Florian Beck
Subject: Re: Fiddling with the menus (was: bug#4043: 23.1; thanks for emacs 23!)
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 14:37:08 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> • Emacs's Menu Usability Problem
>>  http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_menu.html
>
> Some of them sound like good ideas.  Here's my take on it:

While I don't necessarily agree that emacs' popularity is held back by
to complicated menus, by all means do this.

However, menus are *also* used to explore features. So I would recommend
adding *more* commands to the menu at second or even third level (which
at the moment is shunned, because it's tedious for work, but it's great
for exploring features).

- How about introducing an easy way to add commands to the menu (maybe
  via key binding in the minibuffer)?
- How about an extra menu »New in Emacs 23«?
- How about making the toolbar useful by allowing the user to move menu
  items onto it?

--
Florian Beck