Re: Fiddling with the menus (was: bug#4043: 23.1; thanks for emacs 23!)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fiddling with the menus (was: bug#4043: 23.1; thanks for emacs 23!)
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 20:26:21 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 23:36:04 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> >     * The Time, Battery, are of little use. Their functionality are
> >     provided by the OS's tool bar. Again, for geeks who need it, it is
> >     easy to call the command by “M-x”.
>
> I'd tend to agree.

These settings are already in a second-level menu, so how can they
possibly bother anyone?  Just because Xah doesn't see any use for
them, it doesn't mean others won't.  When I work on a laptop, I have
the Battery display on all the time, because Emacs lets me customize
that display in ways most OSes never will.  As for Time, why should I
move my eyes to the system's display, somewhere on the fringes of the
screen, just to know what time it is?

> But I also do not remember why they were added

Mainly to advertise these features.  Many users don't know Emacs has
them.