Re: Fiddling with the menus

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Fiddling with the menus
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 20:05:51 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 23:36:04 -0400
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> >     * The Time, Battery, are of little use. Their functionality are
>> >     provided by the OS's tool bar. Again, for geeks who need it, it is
>> >     easy to call the command by “M-x”.
>>
>> I'd tend to agree.
>
> These settings are already in a second-level menu, so how can they
> possibly bother anyone?  Just because Xah doesn't see any use for
> them, it doesn't mean others won't.  When I work on a laptop, I have

Then turn them on. Most people have a desktop clock already
configured. Seems obvious enough.

> the Battery display on all the time, because Emacs lets me customize
> that display in ways most OSes never will.  As for Time, why should I

Then turn it on for laptops. More specifically yours. Most of us have a
system battery monitor.

> move my eyes to the system's display, somewhere on the fringes of the
> screen, just to know what time it is?

And why should everyone else have their emacs modeline infested with
unnecessary stuff when they have the GUI properly configured.

>> But I also do not remember why they were added
>
> Mainly to advertise these features.  Many users don't know Emacs has
> them.

Poor excuse since there are millions of things emacs has which new users
won't know about. They were put there to appease a tiny minority I
suspect.