Re: Fiddling with the menus

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Fiddling with the menus
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 01:29:44 +0200

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:09 AM, Juri Linkov<address@hidden> wrote:
>> I agree that getting rid of the non-interactive search items in
>> Edit->Search would be a good simplification.
>
> Then we could replace these items with "Search files" (grep)
> and "Recursive grep" (rgrep) in Edit->Search.

One reason for keeping the "normal non-interactive search items" is
that this is what many new users are used to. Maybe place them one
sublevel down with an appropriate name?

Adding rgrep/lgrep would be very good.

I believe it also would be good to merge the "Search" and "Replace"
menus. For example there are elisp code for replacing grep matches.
Such functionality fits best right under rgrep/lgrep. The "Replace"
submenu is also very short.

Maybe adding more fucntionality to a new "Search and Replace" submenu
would make it long. However in my opinion it seems easier to find
things in such an organisation - even if we had to make more
sublevels. Finding/advertising is the important thing. (And again:
perhaps adding the menu items to M-x history...)

>> Maybe this will make sense at some point, but just activating it by
>> default in Emacs-23 required a fair bit of confrontation.  One of the
>> conditions to turn it on was that it be as easy as possible to turn it
>> back off, even in those cases where modifying the .emacs is not an
>> option (e.g. using someone else's Emacs).
>
> BTW, the Options menu should also contain an item to toggle
> `delete-selection-mode' since there is much demand for it.

Options / Confrontation Resolutions ...