Re: Why js2-mode in Emacs 23.2?

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Why js2-mode in Emacs 23.2?
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 19:58:16 -0400

On Aug 9, 2009, at 7:55 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:
It is up to Chong and Stefan of course.

Of course.

Could you please make sure espresso-mode follows Emacs conventions? I
am not sure but I think there were some thing that could be fixed.

The only issue I'm aware of is that espresso-mode syntactically fontifies the whole buffer when starting up to ensure that regular expressions are marked correctly. The comment
that explains it is here:

  ;; Important to fontify the whole buffer syntactically! If we don't,
  ;; then we might have regular expression literals that aren't marked
  ;; as strings, which will screw up parse-partial-sexp, scan-lists,
  ;; etc. and and produce maddening "unbalanced parenthesis" errors.
  ;; When we attempt to find the error and scroll to the portion of
  ;; the buffer containing the problem, JIT-lock will apply the
  ;; correct syntax to the regular expresion literal and the problem
  ;; will mysteriously disappear.