Re: Darkening font-lock colors

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Darkening font-lock colors
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 03:14:14 +0300

>>> Suggestions welcome.  I'm afraid I don't have the time to tinker around
>>> finding an optimal color scheme---I just wanted to fix the legibility
>>> problem.  If you can come up with something better, let us know.
>
> I think there are two essential things to cover:
>
> - Readability, ie luminosity color contrast.
> - Color distinguishability.

Yes, distinguishability is an important thing, and the current colors
lack it.  font-lock-builtin is indistinguishable from font-lock-string-face,
and font-lock-variable is indistinguishable from font-lock-comment
because generally dark colors are indistinguishable from black
foreground color as can be seen on the screenshot below.

I propose to use Magenta3 for font-lock-builtin, PaleVioletRed3 for
font-lock-string and return font-lock-variable back to DarkGoldenrod.

These colors are:

1. Readable;
2. Clearly distinguishable from other colors;
3. Close to original colors.

This is a comparison chart of 3 color schemes: Emacs22, current colors
in CVS, and proposed new colors:

PNG image

And to help comparing them visually below are some samples of using
there color schemes.

* Emacs22:

PNG image

* Current colors in CVS: