Re: Why js2-mode in Emacs 23.2?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Why js2-mode in Emacs 23.2?
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:49:39 -0400

>> So I do believe js2-mode is maintained.  Also, while it it unusual,
>> I think it's a very interesting experiment in how Emacs could evolve
>> (similarly to CEDET).

> "Evolve"?  Is js2-mode's roll-everything-from-scratch code better than
> the existing infrastructure that it ignores (e.g. font-lock)?

;-)

I'm talking about the underlying algorithms.  E.g. I'd like to see
Emacs's infrastructure move towards providing general parsing technology
for all modes.  So the idea is that the functionality offered by
js2-mode should at some point be doable without having to
roll-everything-from-scratch.

        Stefan