Re: face-remap.el patch to resize window

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: face-remap.el patch to resize window
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:16:46 -0400

>   1) To see more of the buffer at once; in this case, I probably don't
>      want the window to shrink.  This is probably the most common case
>      for me.

This is also my main use, tho I often also increase the text size to
make it more readable from afar (in that case increasing the window size
would also make sense, tho I'm usually already maxed out at that point
so it doesn't make any real difference).

>   2) To shrink a short buffer to take up less space, e.g. a help buffer;
>      in this case, I often do want the window to shrink, or even better,
>      to be re-fit to the buffer contents (like the help display
>      functions do initially).

This actually points to a need to mark a window as "fitted" so it can be
refitted dynamically (which would also affect frame resizing, C-x + and
things like that).

> That's why I like a hook-based situation (see earlier patch) that can
> examine the situation and do something appropriate in an easily
> user-adaptable way.

I don't know if it can be made automatic, really.  Maybe a separate
command (at least for your case nb 3) is preferable.

        Stefan