Re: "Font-lock is limited to text matching" is a myth

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: "Font-lock is limited to text matching" is a myth
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 22:42:52 +0200

[Added Eric Ludlam to Cc]

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
> 2009/8/10 Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>:
>> It already does. It's called font-lock. If you want some kind of
>> infrastructure that uses a grammar to perform fontification, I
>> believe CEDET, which will be included in Emacs, can be wired up that
>> way [I think? I'm not quite sure whether Semantic's tags are generic
>> enough for fontification].
>

> I think Xah meant the grammars. Maybe CEDET is not yet using
> font-lock, I do not know how old JIT-lock, which is an essential part
> for this, is.

CEDET can create formatted strings from the tags, and it supports using
font-lock for that (see file semantic-format.el). There's also the
minor-mode 'semantic-decoration' (semantic-decorate.el) which applies
styles to certain tags in the buffer while editing, and this mode does
not use font-lock. Since Semantic usually does not parse every
expression in the buffer, this decoration is currently limited to stuff
like include statements, function declarations or protected class
members. (Eric, please correct me if I'm wrong here).

-David