Re: Switching to bzr: what Emacs developers should know?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Switching to bzr: what Emacs developers should know?
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 01:49:10 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> Actually, for Gnus it seems not particularly easy, because two-way
> merges like those Miles currently does don't seem to fit into the Bazaar
> model nicely at all and because merging two separate package histories
> into one seems to fit even worse.

Well, I should get a better understanding of how Gnus is developed,
before trying to write that section of the wiki.  (Maybe my claim about
how it fits the Bzr model well is wrong...)

Is Gnus just in a separate CVS repository right now, and all the changes
get copied over in some primitive, history-destroying way when a new
Gnus is put into the Emacs distribution?  If so, the Bright Shining
Future would be to simply version Gnus within the Emacs tree, and have
the Gnus developers maintain their own long-lived branches, just as with
anything else.  They don't have to make changes outside the Gnus area
when they don't want to, after all.

Unless Gnus devs do not want to switch to Bazaar?  Can anyone here
answer, or should I be asking over in some Gnus forum?

-Karl