Re: Switching to bzr: what Emacs developers should know?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Switching to bzr: what Emacs developers should know?
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:19:46 -0400

Jason Earl <address@hidden> writes:
> Karl, I think that emacs-devel is bouncing my emails, so you might want
> to forward this.

(Whoa -- any idea why?  Are you getting bounce messages?  I think you're
right, as I don't see your mail in the list archives.)

Happy to forward when needed.  But in this case, I'll just make sure to
quote all of your mail in my followup, so all your words are here.

> I have a relatively recent 2a format version of the repository rooted at
>
> bzr://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs-testing
> http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs-testing

Thanks.  Glad to hear it, especially as my attempt to fetch the old
repository just failed:

  $ mkdir emacs-new
  $ cd emacs-new
  $ bzr init-repo --2a .
  $ time bzr branch http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/trunk/
  bzr: ERROR: not well-formed (invalid token): line 16, column 56
  real    522m9.865s
  user    415m13.049s
  sys     1m7.948s
  $

That was part of a test before I responded to Cheng Gao's message of
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-08/msg00350.html, in
which he reported this:

  $ time bzr clone http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/trunk/ emacs
  Branched 95203 revision(s).

  real  193m58.965s
  user  6m58.284s
  sys   1m12.954s
  $

But since you have a new branch now, I'll just test with that.

> So you can get the trunk with:
>
> bzr branch bzr://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs-testing/trunk/ emacs
>
> I also have gzip and lzma compressed tarballs of the repository at:
>
> http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs-testing.tar.gz
> http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs-testing.tar.lzma

I will compare the time to 'bzr branch bzr://...' against the time to
fetch a tarball over HTTP.  However, one thing we might want to try is
offering the bzr sources via HTTP as well.  In fact, maybe you already
are?  After this current branch via bzr://, I will try it again using
http:// (note that's what Cheng Gao used -- and his use of the "clone"
command instead of "branch" makes no difference, as they are synonyms).

What kind of Net connection does bzr.notengoamigos.org have, by the way?
(I'm doing my 'bzr branch' from a server with a very wide pipe, in order
to remove my home Net connection's speed as a factor.)

> I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this, but I had a bit
> of trouble with the conversion this last time around, and I have been
> under water at work.

No need to apologize -- thank you for making time for this!

Best,
-Karl