Re: Color themes

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Color themes
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 20:21:16 +0200

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Leo<address@hidden> wrote:
> I see inheritance as a convenient tool for defining new faces, but not
> an effective tool for enforce consistency. Even if all faces inherit
> from more basic ones, they can still choose to use different colours and
> in reality this is what happens.

Personally, when I have to choose a color theme I prefer the theme
that has the most different and distinguishable colors. There are some
color-themes that have the very same color for many different faces
and I think that's defeating the point of selective highlighting. I
like when I'm able to know what's the role of a word by looking at its
unique color. I like to be able to give specific colors to
flymake-errline or hl-line faces, they would be kind of unusable if
they had the same colors from a reduced basic set (I can't use
hl-line-mode with emacs in a terminal because of this, it's not
comfortable for me to have such a bright line due to the reduced set
of terminal colors).

So, while I agree that inheriting colors is good for making it easy to
develop new themes, I think that allowing the themes to change
selectively the color of "non-standard" faces is also good, imho. And
I think this two things are not mutually excluding.

--
Fernando