Re: "Font-lock is limited to text matching" is a myth

From: joakim
Subject: Re: "Font-lock is limited to text matching" is a myth
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:12:13 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 8:04 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> writes:
>>

>>> - full parsers belong in the CEDET infrastructure where they can be
>>> accessed via a common API
>>> - if this API is not rich enough, it ought to be extended
>>> - normal major modes shouldn't rely on rigid grammars because that
>>> makes them brittle. Anything that needs such a grammar should be an
>>> optional and preferably generic minor-mode
>>>
>>> (I still think it'd be worthwhile to include the JS2 parser in CEDET,
>>> which supports parsers not necessarily generated with wisent or bison.
>>> It seems robust in its problem domain.)
>>
>> Small piece of information: CEDET already includes a Javascript parser
>> that I provided some time ago.
>

> What benefits do the different approaches (your CEDET Semantic
> Javascript parser and JS2, maybe also a theoretical sub-process rhino
> (or similar) parser) have?

I havent looked into what JS2 does. Cedet provides interfaces to hook in
parsers of varying kinds. If you use this interface, you are a cedet
parser, and you get the benefits that all the cedet tools work: semantic
navigation etc. currently there are no sub-process parsers implemeted
AFAIK, but there are sub-process tag generators.

--
Joakim Verona