Re: Why are there two dolist?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Why are there two dolist?
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 00:42:01 +0200

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Miles Bader<address@hidden> wrote:
> You mean the "subr.el", and "cl-macs.el" versions?

Hi Miles,
Thanks for replying.

Yes.

> The latter is an extended version of the former, supporting extra stuff
> to be (kinda) CL compatible (e.g., an implicit block around the body).
>
> Most people will never see the cl-macs version; those who _should_ see
> it will, because they'll have done (require 'cl) first; since the
> cl-macs version supports the basic subr.el usage, it's OK if some code
> that doesn't need the extra features ends up se

Does not this open to subtle bugs? Would it not be better to move the
cl-macs.el version to subr.el?

>> And shouldn't they say that you do not have to intern/declare VAR?
>
> It says that it binds VAR (like let), which implies that you don't need
> to declare it.  I don't know why it should say anything about interning,
> as that's not a concept most code needs to care about.

Yes, I can see now that it "implies" that, but... - you have to speak
lisp to understand it, or? (Saying "intern" was a bad idea by me.)

There is probably something I did not notice in the elisp manual about
the word "bound"? At least I misunderstood/forgot this.