Re: "Font-lock is limited to text matching" is a myth

From: Steve Yegge
Subject: Re: "Font-lock is limited to text matching" is a myth
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:08:36 -0700

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 6:48 AM, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:
Steve Yegge <address@hidden> writes:

> I've now had a chance to take a quick look at espresso-mode, and it
> looks like it's most likely a better choice for inclusion in Emacs,
> assuming it works well.
>
> I like the idea of making js2-mode a minor mode that can supply parse
> errors and warnings asynchronously if enabled.  That's its core
> strength in any case.  If Daniel's amenable I'd be happy to start
> working with him in that direction.

Good, thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Would it be possible to call the _javascript_ mode in Emacs
_javascript_-mode?  Is there any historical reason?

+1 -- I was just going to suggest that.  "espresso" evokes Java,
and "js2" (es4) is now moribund.  I'll make sure we fix it up once
we've integrated the modes.  (We'll probably use js- as the package
prefix, for readability and convenience.)

-steve