Re: Patch to change just-one-space

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Patch to change just-one-space
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:10:52 +0900

Deniz Dogan writes:
 > 2009/8/14 Juri Linkov <address@hidden>:

 > > No, it's a controversial change.  Just imagine typing M-SPC at the end
 > > of the paragraph.
 >
 > That's exactly why I wrote this change, because that's how I use my
 > own version of M-SPC. I very rarely use the version that's in CVS now.

I use the current definition a lot; usage patterns vary, it seems.

In your typical use there are *no* non-newline spaces?  Or are you of
the non-TeX school where you represent a paragraph break by "\n " or
"\n\t" or so?

I think that, at least in TeX style (ie, paragraph break is
represented by "\n\n" with no ident, also used by various "structured
text" formats), this probably would unpleasantly surprise many people.

It seems to me that a more flexible and discoverable (and to you
equivalent, up to default keybindings) idea would be to define
`paragraph-join' and `paragraph-break', and bind the former to M-SPC.