Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 20:18:25 +0200

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 7:37 PM, martin rudalics<address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Well, and what would we do then?  Could you sketch a dialogue?
>>
>> My idea is just to display a window with information about what
>> happened and how to get the windows back. Is not that enough?
>
> Suppose the Emacs frame is a window in a tiling WM that just asked Emacs
> to shrink that frame because the user needs it for another application.
> Do you think that user would care about what Emacs tells how to get back
> some old window configuration?  And what would Emacs tell?  Something
> like "try to delete some windows you currently can't see but could see
> if you resized your frame to what it was before you wanted to shrink
> it and after that carry on with your stupid application"?

Maybe that is a case where we want to delete windows. I am not quite
convinced yet.

However in that case I would still suggest showing one window
temporary and explain and give alternatives there. I can't see that it
is worse than just deleting the windows. Just deleting the windows
might look like a bug - or maybe just not be noticed, be confusing.