Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 17:17:05 +0200

> What _is_ the "old structure" when resizing opaquely?  It might be
> easiest to store window sizes as fractions.  When resizing a frame, the
> fractions don't change (so the internal window configuration snaps to
> the closest integral value).  When resizing individual windows, the
> fractions are made whole again, matching the character positions of the
> frame.

I'm not sure how to understand the last sentence.  Why and how are
"fractions made whole again"?

> Note that storing stuff in that manner also allows repeated toggles of
> tool-bar-mode and similar to revert to the original frame configuration
> painlessly since the outer window edges (which can't be repositioned
> within a frame) retain the original fractions indefinitely as long as
> the frame itself is not resized manually.

I suppose the outer window edges also change fractions when the window
is resized manually.  Or what am I missing?

Anyway note that we implicitly use a fractional approach when resizing a
frame.  The major obstacles to this are `window-min-height' and
`window-min-width' and fixed-size windows.  Also I'm not sure how to
handle window/buffer specific associations like `fit-window-to-buffer'
and `temp-buffer-resize-mode'.

martin