Re: eval-after-load not harmful after all

From: Leo
Subject: Re: eval-after-load not harmful after all
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 22:43:40 +0100

On 2009-08-11 16:08 +0100, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> I note that all the advocates of e-a-l are package maintainers and UI
>>> types; all the deprecators are core.  This is an inherent tension, and
>>> I think it should be resolved in favor of protecting the core.
>
> Actually, I think "tension" is the wrong word.  The core just want to
> send a message, nothing more.  The main message is "eval-after-load and
> advice should ideally not be necessary: we happily support them and
> won't be offended at all if you use them, but if you do need them,
> please understand that it is evidence of a shortcoming in some package
> that should be reported so we can fix it".

Emacs -Q already has a non-nil after-load-alist value. I think this is a
really bad example.

Is there any way to cleanly unload an eval-after-load form? For example,
if a package eval-after-load something that interferes with a user's
personal setting, what to do?

--
Leo's Emacs uptime: 12 days, 21 hours, 31 minutes, 19 seconds