Re: bug#4004: filename completion

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: bug#4004: filename completion
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:32:05 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Would it be OK to add the check
>>   (and (boundp 'completion-styles)
>>        (member 'partial-completion (symbol-value 'completion-styles)))
>
> You mean
>
>    (and (boundp 'completion-styles)
>         (member 'partial-completion completion-styles))
>
> ?

Yes, I mean that. My version avoids compiler warnings for unknown
symbol completion-styles, when Tramp runs outside GNU Emacs 23.

> Yes, I guess it'd be OK, tho I think you might as well enable
> it unconditionally, since AFAICT it doesn't impact the autoloading
> behavior, only the completion behavior (i.e. after C-x C-f /s TAB you
> don't get "ssh:" before Tramp is loaded, but you do after Tramp has
> been loaded).

I'll do so. Wrt autoloading: for some people it makes a difference,
whether Tramp is loaded after typing "/ssh:", or already after typing "/s".

Since partial-completion is enabled by default in completion-styles,
Tramp will always be autoloaded after typing "/s". But people have a
chance to disable this behaviour.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.