Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: grischka
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:06:46 +0200

From: martin rudalics
> In a nutshell: whatever position is manipulated _directly_ is made an
> integer at the time of the manipulation.  Window borders that are only
> repositioned as an implicit (proportionate) result of some resizing
> operation, do the bookkeeping of their position as a fraction that
> corresponds to the resized ratios.

Very neat idea, indeed.  As a matter of fact this should solve the frame
re-resizing problem completely.

To solve a problem it not only needs the right algorithm but also the
right implementation.

Take for example proportional resizing as it is currently.  If I make a
frame with two windows side by side, 20 and 70 chars wide and if I maximize
the frame, the window widths are now 63 and 113, and if I un-maximize it
again the widths are now 31 and 59.  That clearly is not a problem that
can be solved by ideas, as neat as they may be.  It is plain simple broken
math.

--- grischka