using libmagic in Emacs?

From: joakim
Subject: using libmagic in Emacs?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 20:35:14 +0200

(This is probably a FAQ but my google skills seem to fail me)

There are some operations in Emacs which tries to do the same thing as
the "libmagic" library, which is the core of the "file" utility, does.

For instance, in "image.el" there is functionality to look at magic
numbers in image files.

Also, I often whish that files would open in Emacs with correct mode
more often when there is no file extension.

Would there be interest in an Emacs patch for libmagic, or is there some
obvious reason this havent been done yet? I envision this as being an
inteface with 2 implementations, a lisp fallback like today, and
libmagic if available. I did a libmagick wrapper for Ocaml using Swig
before so I have some familiarity with the API.

--
Joakim Verona