Re: Info about color-values need be revised

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Info about color-values need be revised
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 00:22:09 -0400

On Aug 18, 2009, at 11:47 PM, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:

As I've been saying, the alpha component support in the NS port should
have been removed in the first place.

Does anyone oppose doing that (again) in the trunk?

Also, we can observe that users tend to spread (*) such an eye candy
feature without caring about various compatibility issues or the GNU
policy.  That's why it was important to get rid of such a feature from
the release version.

You were right about these things for the release, but as for the trunk, could people please consider the alternative:

Adding transparency to the other platforms where the APIs support it easily, and creating Lisp-level compatibility for transparency in the color specification. -?

It is no surprise that folks roll their own if the mothership is so far behind the times with such features. And people do it on those platforms first where it is easy because the right OS layer provides APIs for it; especially if the platform is so popular. And once people like me add their own features, they get used, and the Lisp APIs diverge. What has the purposeful GNU policy achieved then?

ps: Nota bene: You personally are not the tree up which I am barking when it comes to lack of implementation activity...